About Elk, California
The town of Elk, often still referred to as “Greenwood,” was established in the 1850s. Greenwood got its name from early loggers- William, Britton, James, and Boggs Greenwood- who settled on the creek south of town between 1854 and 1862. The official request to name the settled town Greenwood was rejected in 1888 because the name had already been taken. Elk was chosen as the replacement name of the town due to the number of elk in the surrounding hills. To this day, Elk sits proudly on the Mendicino coast overlooking the Pacific Ocean about four hours north of San Francisco. The once turn-of-the-century lumber town and shipping port has created a rich source of history and the perfect place for a relaxing getaway.
About Sacred Rock Resort
Previously known as the Griffin House Inn, Sacred Rock Resort was originally built in 1890 along with Bridget Dolan’s Pub as the main house. Around 1920, the Inn expanded with the construction of individual cottages nestled high on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Now, after extensive renovations, the resort is owned by the Jackson Rancheria Band of Miwuk Indians.
About the Tribe
First recognized by the Federal Government in 1898, the Jackson Rancheria Band of Miwuk Indians owns and operates Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort located in Amador County, California. The Tribe opened their first Bingo Hall in 1985. It was a rocky start to self-reliance, but due to the vision and determination of our Founder, Margaret Dalton, our doors have been open for 30 years. Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort is the largest employer in Amador County with the Casino, RV Park, Hotel, and General Store & Gas Station. The current Tribal Chairperson, Adam Dalton, used to visit Elk, California with his young children years ago while traveling along Hwy 1. When the opportunity to purchase Griffin House Inn was presented, the Jackson Rancheria Band of Miwuk Indians knew they wanted to become a part of the Elk Community that once captured their hearts.
Sacred Rock Resort © 2015